Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Stitching

Cross stitching, to be specific. I have an unhealthy obsession with it. It's one of those things I was taught as a young girl as a way to get me to stfu for more than 5 minutes and give my mom a much needed break.

I've always been the artsy-crafty type, so once I realized that the cross stitch patterns you get a the store are super lame, I moved on to other artistic mediums. I've always seemed to enjoy small, detailed, things. For example: my favorite part of my Barbie mansion was arranging the teeny tiny food in the little fridge. In art classes I was always using the tiniest brushes possible, even if the canvas was huge. I have issues. I know this.

I also went through a period where I was obsessed with pixel graphics. I would create little images pixel by pixel. This would probably drive most people mad, but I loved it. And now, that insanity has provided me with the ability to whip up a cross stitch pattern in no time at all. Thus solving the issue of lame pre-made patterns.

I'm not entirely sure what made me start stitching again. It was right after our move to Texas, so maybe I just had more time for such things. I remember stumbling upon a picture of a cross stitch that said simply, "Fuck you." And I thought, "Oh, this is right up my alley..." Now here I am.

I've completed a bunch my own designs, but realized that I never really did anything with them. A few are framed, some really vulgar ones were gifted to some dear friends last Christmas, and the rest just sit in a pile. I figure odd crafts tend to interest people, so I'll try to update about my stitching more frequently. This weekend I'll be writing a post that will include most of my finished works.

This is what I'm working on right now:

It's a zombie sugar skull. I'm thinking of doing a series of sugar skulls, but I had to start with just one first, right?

So that's some insight about why I enjoy a grandma-hobby. And yes, when I am a grandma I'll still be stitching things with zombies and bad words. That's just how I roll.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment