The 1990's brass fixtures in our house have been the bane of my existence since we moved in. The previous owner had randomly upgraded some fixtures to stainless steel, but there was really no rhyme or reason to what was changed. The majority of the fixtures (doorknobs, lights, faucets, etc) were still brass.
I'm not a fan of stainless fixtures, so we have been slowly replacing everything with oil rubbed bronze. We had made a huge dent in the brass removal project, but our fireplace was an issue. It was a big, ugly, brass eyesore right in the middle of our house.
We discussed replacing it, or putting a screen in front of it, but I knew there had to be a way to spraypaint it. Spraypaint has become my BFF in terms of brass elimination. When I want a cheap, quick fix, I'll spray the old fixture. We changed out all of the brass in our guest bathroom this way (minus the faucet). So I knew, regardless of the heat issue, that there had to be a way to spray the brass fireplace surround.
I scoured Pinterest and came across this pin. Until then, I never knew that high heat spraypaint even existed. Of course, your color selection is limited, but black was exactly what I was looking for. After a trip to Lowe's I was ready to get rid of our eyesore.
I did exactly what the woman in that pin did... I taped, and taped, and taped some more. Then I built a little plastic spray booth around the fireplace. The only thing I did differently was not climbing inside. I left enough slack in the plastic to stick my arm inside, and then taped the plastic tightly around my bicep. In order to see inside I made another hole and secured a pair of safety glasses. I'm sure I looked incredibly ridiculous, but it worked! The house wasn't covered in paint, the surround was completely transformed, and I wasn't coated in a fine layer of black dust.
We took the doors off and sprayed those separately out in the garage. The paint dries extremely quickly, so we were reassembling and done with the project in no time. From start to finish it was maybe two or three hours. The most time consuming part was building my spray booth (well worth it though, trust me). One thing to note, the paint stinks. I mean, really stinks. Even with the plastic sheeting the house stunk. Luckily it was warm today so we had all of the windows open, and it aired out pretty quickly.
So, without further ado, the final result of my efforts: