Monday, January 21, 2013

Tax time

I used to look forward to tax return season... I was single, my withholdings were correct, and I always got both federal and state returns. Easy money right into my pocket.
 
Then I got married (the first time), and my filings went to hell in a hand basket. I lived in NY, worked in NJ, and the jackass' my ex's withholdings were way too low. We owed, big time. Then I was filing as single again, but had been married part of the year, and moved back to NJ from NY... Owed a little, basically broke even, started dreading tax season. After that, we moved to Texas halfway through a tax season, so that fouled things up again. Plus J owed some money after moving, selling/buying a house, etc. I felt like I'd never get a return again.
 
So, here we are getting ready to file our 2012 returns. I've used every calculator I can find... They all say we're getting a refund, but I can't bring myself to believe it. Our withholdings are correct (even with us now filing jointly), we've been in our home the whole tax season, and we don't have state income tax here so we're just dealing with the fed. I'm still wary though.
 
Our tax appointment is on Monday, so if I post on Tuesday that we're going to Disney World getting a new patio and kitchen appliances, then you'll know those calculators were correct. If I start blogging about extreme couponing, just assume that we're now broke and need to live off of whatever processed food we can buy en masse for $0.50 with coupons.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment