Sunday, March 9, 2014

Craft Studio Renovation

We did it! Finally, after months of debate and procrastination, we buckled down and completely renovated my studio. We repaired the walls and ceiling (from our adventure in homeowners claims), painted every surface that could possibly be painted, ripped out the carpet, and replaced the flooring and trim. AND we did it all in about two days, including the time it took me to move my stuff back into the room... and I have a lot of stuff.
 
It isn't 100% completed yet, but I am absolutely thrilled with how it turned out. It is such a drastic change from the way the room was previously that it's hard to believe that the pictures are even from the same house.
 
Here is how the room looked when we first moved in, and after my stuff was set up (click for larger images):
 
Pretty boring, right? The carpet and the walls were basically the same color, which made the room look completely blah. The fan is also totally dated, and we haven't replaced it as of yet, but it is on the list of little finishing touches for the room.
 
Regardless of lack of style, the initial pictures of the studio still look infinitely better than it did after our little leak issue:
 
That was a fantastic day. Mold, water, gross stuff... fun times. Really fun times. After having everything professionally dried up and torn out, the room sat in a state of disrepair while we worked on renovations to our downstairs. Since that is our main living space, the studio and it's adjoining bathroom we're put off until last. The bathroom is next weekend's project, but I digress...
 
Back to the current studio work:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I'd also like to take this opportunity to show off the craft table that J built for me. I need to refinish the top, but it is a beast in terms of storage capabilities. Plus, it only cost a fraction of what the similar tables from Pottery Barn sell for.
 
 
 
And there you have it! I still need a rug, a new light fixture, and some wall decor, but the major construction work is done. I'm going for a Cape May, NJ theme with the room, since my dollhouse reminds me of the brightly colored Victorian houses there. I want some large vintage postcard prints, and I'm going to try to encorporate some very subtle beachy items into the room (rope, stripes, sand dollars, etc). I'm going to carry the theme into the adjoining bathroom as well, but it will be painted gray, instead of the blue. So stay tuned for that project because if the studio is any indication of what we can do in a weekend, we should have that bathroom done even faster!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment