Saturday, January 3, 2015

Big Texas-Sized Changes

 
Oh... My... God... That can't be right.
Well, it was right, and we're in for some huge changes around here!
 
In November 2014 I underwent a procedure called an operative hysteroscopy and tubal catheterization. Sounds fun, right? I also wound up having a benign mass removed from inside my uterus. I've had long history of issues hindering my ability to get pregnant, and I've been working with a reproductive endocrinologist and fertility center for over a year now. I won't get into details, but before the holidays we were given a list of price sheets and procedures that were to be our next steps if we ever wanted to conceive. However, with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's around the corner, we decided it was something we could address afterwards.
 
Surprise! On January 2, 2015 we found out I was pregnant. Cue panic. I called my doctor's office right away and set up an appointment for later that day. Was this seriously happening? It was. After getting stuck with a needle, the nurse called a couple of hours later to confirm that yes, I was most definitely pregnant. After a long week of repeat blood work, they further confirmed that my levels are great, and baby is growing.
 
What a way to start 2015, right? Come September, we're going to be a family of three!
 
How far along: 4 weeks (estimated) - No official EDD yet
 
How big is baby: The size of a poppyseed - Baby is busy settling into his or her new home, and prepping for all of the crucial development he or she will be doing over the next six weeks. Baby's neural tube, the building block of the spine, brain and backbone, is already formed.
 
What are we having: We'll find out in April.
 
Symptoms this week: I'm acutely aware that I have a uterus because I can constantly feel it. It's not painful, just an odd, heavy feeling with pinches and pulls thrown in for good measure. I also dread the end of the day because taking my bra off makes me cringe since the girls are so sore. Other than that, so far so good!
 
Weight gain/loss: All zeros, let's see what happens from here.
 
Food aversions/cravings: None yet! Although, if you ask J, I have an unhealthy addiction to sour pickles... Regardless of the fact that I was snacking on them before I got pregnant too. I do seem to get hungry more quickly though. I'll be fine one minute, then out of nowhere my stomach is growling. I'm attributing it to the fact that I'm eating several smaller meals throughout the day, since I feel gross if I overeat.
 
The baby belly: All bloat, not baby.
 
Movement: Have a long way to go.
 
What is freaking me out: The big M-word. I had my first beta ran on 14 DPO, the same day I took my first test. My HCG was at 127 and progesterone at 24.27. The nurse said these levels were great for my estimated gestational age, but of course I'm on edge. My next test came back with HCG at 444, and progesterone at 19.74. My betas more than doubled, which is great, but since my progesterone dropped I have to start on a supplement. The second number was still within the "good" range, but we don't want it to drop any further.
 
What I'm totally loving: Being pregnant! I mean, holy shit! I was supposed to need fertility drugs, and IVF, and witchcraft to conceive. Then we get a surprise like this?! 2015 is starting out crazy!
 
Best moment of the week: Seeing those beta numbers going up. Grow baby grow!
 
What I'm looking forward to: Getting further along and closer to an ultrasound date. I need to see our little gummy bear to put my mind at ease.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment